• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

leg workouts/testosterone

ech0s85

Bluelighter
Ive heard a bunch of times that working out your legs releases testosterone which helps A LOT with gaining muscle and definition on the whole body. I go through phases of weight training my upper body but ive never done much on legs.

Can anybody recommend a good leg workout that can be done at home?

I only have a long bar and a few plates to put on it. Im curious to see how much difference itll make and i want more exercises to do when im giving the rest of my body a few days off.

I would really get a squat rack, more plates, and Mark Rippetoes Starting Strength book. In the meantime you can check out the SS wiki for how to perform a squat that wont destroy your back and knees, and steindborn the bar onto your back (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qls96q4Phs4) for back squats and clean what you can onto your shoulders for front squats. You can also perform single leg squats but they wont have the hormonal effects due to the lack of large external loads I'm pretty sure.

And this exercise: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2xRx7dGWaE is a damn fine hamstring and lower back exercise you can do at home.

Last edited:
like Amebix said, you won't be able to do the real "big-weight" exercises that i find really give a good testosterone pump. however, there are a LOT of ways to do leg exercises with just body-weight or a bar, and you'll still get a lot of benefits (as well as a more aerobic workout). some examples:

body-weight squats (fast, slow, hold your squat for 10-20 seconds, etc.)
squat-jumps (body-weight squat then jump as high as you can)
one-legged squats
lunges (with or without weight bar)
mountain-climbers
toe-raises/one-legged toe raises
squat-thrusts

when i'm doing body-weight exercises like this, i try to repeat sets of three or four exercises with a minimal rest period. it's a different kind of workout than doing sets of heavy squats or leg presses, but if you're serious enough to go hard, you'll work your legs just as much.

right on thanks a lot guys thatll definitely help me out. Have you guys noticed a difference when working the legs?? im just wondering how much difference the test increase makes

if you go hard enough with the body-weight exercises, there won't be that much difference. hell, it might even be equivalent . . i've done some GREAT workouts (with great results) both ways.

All-out-sprints are another way to get a good hormonal release without equipment.